More Healthy Snacks! Try these tasty, easy sweet and savory menu ideas…
Food Expert Stephanie Middleberg, MS, RD, CDN—shares a few easy and delicious snack recipes that will add some extra variety (and also feel rewarding in their own right). From savory to sweet, we’ve got you covered as you work toward the finish line.
- Roasted carrots: Peel, cut into strips, roast at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes, flipping once. Dip in 2 Tbsp tahini.
- Spicy pumpkin or sesame seeds: 1 cup pumpkin seeds, 1 tsp olive oil, ½ tsp chili powder or paprika, ¼ tsp salt—bake at 350 for 5-10 min. Makes 4 servings.
- Roasted chickpeas: 1 + ¾ cups cooked garbanzo beans, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp of dried herbs of your choice, ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, salt to taste—bake at 400 for 15-20 min. Makes 4 servings.
- Kale chips: Remove ribs from kale and cut remainder into 1-2 inch pieces, massage with olive oil, add a dash of salt and paprika—bake at 275 for 20 min. Makes 2-3 servings. Eat with hummus or a handful of nuts if you want something a bit more filling.
- Edamame guacamole ¼ cup: In a food processor, blend 1 cup shelled edamame, 2 Tbsp EVOO, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp salt, dash of hot sauce, 1 clove garlic, water to thin to desired consistency + veggies for dipping (sliced bell pepper, cucumber, carrots, etc.).
- Broiled grapefruit ½: Broil for 5-8 minutes, flesh side up, with cinnamon + ¼ cup shelled pistachios.
- Cacao and almond energy bites: In a food processor, blend 1 cup raw almonds, 2 cups pitted Medjool dates, 4 Tbsp raw cacao powder, 2 ½ Tbsp nut butter, 2 Tbsp coconut oil. Roll into balls and store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Homemade trail mix: 1 tsp avocado or olive oil, 2 cups nuts, ¼ cup sesame seeds, ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut—bake on 350 for 8-10 min. Makes 8 servings.
- Chia seed pudding: 1 Tbsp of chia seeds soaked in ⅓ cup milk of choice or water—let soak for 30 min. Add toppings of choice (cinnamon, chia seeds, vanilla, 1 Tbsp of nut butter, fruit, goji berries, cacao powder). Makes 1 serving.
Which one looks good to you? Which are you trying this month?